Wednesday, August 16, 2006

A Jungle Town


One day we went to a nearby town in the Amazon that had a population of only 250. On the way there, our guide pointed out this tree, in which this red flower is used by the local people as birth control. They only take medicines that they can get themselves. I don't think it's very effective because they all have lots of kids, but what do I know.

There was a big termite nest that apparently is used by the local people as a bug repellant. If you put your hand on it, the termites will crawl onto and all over your hand leaving a liquid behind. This liquid is supposed to work very well to repel mosquitos and other annoying bugs. I didn't do it, but maybe I should have because these weird blood sucking flies bit me all over that afternoon!


When we got into the town, our guide showed us this fruit that is used by the local people as a dye. He offered to decorate my face and fingernails for me and Scott added on to make me look like this. Aren't I beautiful!? ;-) Scott got his own painting too. :D

There is work here to preserve the turtles that live in the area. There is a pool in this town, where they keep the mother and hundreds of babies before letting them into the wild. One of the local kids got in and took a few out to let us hold. They were so cute! When we put them back, we let them race back into the water.


This is where the local kids go to school. The town is very small as you can imagine, but it is very nice that they have this school available to them.
We met most of the kids in the town also. Here are a few watching a movie on a TV in one big room.

No comments: