Friday, May 05, 2006

Bad days DO come :(


Well, it is true that each day mostly has gotten better and better and we´ve had no end to the amazement that we´ve seen. But we did have one bad day so far. We had a rather long public bus day having to do 2 transfers and ride over the bumpiest, most uncomfortable roads we´ve ever been on. The last bus, which rode over the worst roads was a school bus and picked people up and dropped off all along the way. It was a 7 hour day. The worst part was that when we were getting off of the first bus, these two guys were trying to ´help´us. They were crowding us in quite a lot, which made me feel quite uncomfortable and I noticed when we got off the bus that my wallet was missing. It had been in my pocket, which was very deep, but somehow these guys worked together and snatched it from me without my noticing. I didn´t have much cash in there because we really haven´t been traveling with much cash, but I had my license, ATM card, primary credit card and a phone card. It´s just a pain to have to cancel all of that and order new and get them to us while we are here.

More than anything, it made me really sad. I like to think that I have a positive view of people generally, and I guess I do because this was just such a blow. I don´t understand how these two men who seemed nice and normal could just rip off a poor, unsuspecting tourist who was nice with all smiles for them. Do they have no conscience? They didn´t get much out of it, but caused a lot of heartache to me. I still have a positive view of most Costa Rican people because they are very nice here. But I am much more on guard now. When we arrived into Santa Elena/Monteverde, I was rude to all of the people trying to push us into their hotels and tours because at the time I really wanted nothing to do with anyone else trying to ´help´me. This too will pass and I am already feeling much better about it, but it was a very sad day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's a good thing they didn't get your passport. I'm so sorry you got your wallet ripped. Stay vigilant, Tiffers. It's just a hair in your food of life.