Sunday, March 02, 2008

Lions and Tigers and.. Crocs?

Probably one of the main highlights of my trip was on this last day in a short trip to the Addo Crocodile Ranch. We wouldn't have thought to come here, but we heard recommendations from a few people that we were on safari with. We heard that there was a lion cub here, but I was also excited to see everything they had! We did, of course see crocodiles, but since I was at the end of my memory card, I had to delete most of these in order to get my last video, which you'll see at the end of this post. In addition to the many crocodiles (of all different sizes), they had these crazy monkeys. I can't remember what they said they were called, but in doing a little research online, I think they may be marmosets. They were tiny and weird looking, but cute in that ugly cute sort of way. I was getting really close to look at them and they positioned themselves like this with their pee holes sticking out. The guide quickly warned me that may people have been peed on by getting close up like this! :D Silly monkeys!










I've never seen tigers up close and they are one of my favorite animals (right up there with monkeys). I just think they have the most beautiful patterns and since I love cats anyway, I love their temperaments as well. We were able to get so close to this tiger and though she was in a cage, we were only separated by a cage - crazy! Look at how cute while she stretches! They even have one cage where a tiger and lion live together and grew up together. I guess they really like each other, but no ligers have been created yet. Sorry Napoleon!













But the real highlight is this next part. We met an ADORABLE 5 month old lion cub named Sissy. We watched her for a while in her cage and then when one of the guys who worked there walked by, she jumped all around very playfully and followed him around. It was so cute - just like a little kitten or puppy who wanted to play. We got to go inside and play with her too! She was super cute and sweet and playful and definitely didn't know her strength. You can see her here with her big mouth coming right at me - all in good fun and play though. I did come back with a few pretty big scratches and holes in my shirt, but what a great story to say that I got them playing (or wrestling as Scott likes to say) with a lion cub! She liked my flipflops a little too much, so we had to throw them over the fence. I then had to sit on my feet so she wouldn't bite them. At one point, she jumped up on my back putting her paws over my shoulders - how cute! She was quite fond of Kristin's jacket and wouldn't let go without force! Nancy romped around with her for a while too and she loved the pink of Nancy's dress. She was probably older than she should've been to let customers play with her... but I loved every minute of it!











2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL.. "little miss sunshine" meeting the lion cub..

very cute! <3

Anonymous said...

i mean the lion cubs :p