Saturday, June 17, 2006

Thoughts...

Unfortunately the gig at Kaya´s place didn´t work out too well for us and we are now back in San Jose. We were doing it partly because we thought we might want to buy a similar place down here one day and run it, and we wanted to see what it might be like. We have decided that this would not be for us. It was a good experience and taught us a lot. First of all, Scott and I are way too organized and uptight in business to be able to handle the way things run down here. People down here are super relaxed: for living, it´s nice, but in business it definitely bothered us. Secondly, the locals (Ticos) do not look upon Americans (Gringos) opening businesses in a positive light. I can see where they are coming from because before Costa Rica was a tourist center, it was much cheaper and much more in the old style of living. Now that the Gringos have come in and bought land and opened businesses, there have definitely been many changes. The cost of living has increased for the Ticos and it seems that in many places, they cannot afford to live like they once did. On the flip side, Gringos opening businesses offers new jobs, but it is still a completely different lifestyle. Most likely because of this resentment, many of the Ticos take advantage of the Gringos either just visiting or in opening businesses. Many try to take money whereever they can get it (out of people´s pockets or out of a cashbox at a business). It is a really sad situation and though it´s not right for them to behave this way, I can at least see where their resentment comes from. Keep in mind, that these statements are very wide generalizations and not representative of everyone here. However, it is the case enough that I would not want to be involved in it. Puerto Viejo, also has really been overtaken by drugs (marijuana, coke, crack) and this definitely affects the quality of life there. Constantly, there were crackheads coming up to people in the street or at a business and bothering everyone around them. This would even make me annoyed and fearful if I was a local who was not into drugs.

Having said all of this, I also want to take the opportunity to say positive things about the people and the culture. This situation brought my opinions down, but only a few weeks ago I looked at the people here as so friendly and happy. One of the main differences I can see between the Ticos and Americans is the commitment to family. It is amazing that everywhere you go, if you ask a local where they are from and where they grew up 99% of them will tell you that they grew up right there or very close to where they presently reside. We talked to one tour guide about this and he said he would like to get away in once sense, but his commitment to family is too strong for him to really want to leave. They don´t put their careers and other opportunities as high as they do their families. I don´t know if it´s better or worse than in the US, but I highly respect this commitment. Ticos do not have nearly what we have in the US, but many of them seem to be so much happier than Americans who are always striving for more. Although, I do not want to do business down here, I want to have this sort of attitude more when I get back to the States. I want to feel always thankful for what I do have and spend more energy and time on relationships in my life (both blood family and the family I have made in friends). Scott and I are realizing more than anything down here how important the people in our lives are to us. Part of this could be that were are together with only each other for so long, but I think this is a great realization and one that will live with us forever.

Anyway, so far I have really only been giving updates on what we have done and some views of the culture, but I wanted to add some additional thoughts that I´ve had. I will soon also add a review of all of the books I´ve read since I´ve been down here. Scott is going to add more commentary as well, so stay tuned!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are losing your innocence about Life. That comes with the Saturn Return around 28 years old. Industrialization and material goods come with a high price.

I'm glad to see you are reading a broad variety of books and continuing to expand your mind and heart.

Anonymous said...

hey Tiff....it's Robbie from Kentwood! I haven't heard from you in forever. I have been checking out all of your pics and you look like you are having the time of your life. My email address is thetates@jam.rr.com. Email me when you get a chance and I will send you some pictures of my little one. Hope to hear from you soon!