Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Happy Birthday to ME!







This might be a bit of an egotistical post since it is all about me, but since my birthday was yesterday, I think I deserve it. :D I had a really wonderful birthday yesterday thanks to my really wonderful boyfriend. We took a bus up to Cahuita and had a great typical Costa Rican lunch while watching part of the Brazil/Croatia futbol game. We then took a hike through Cahuita National Park. It is right on the ocean, so the views were amazing and the waves quite large yesterday. Since we were in the forst, we saw a lot of our favorite friends as well. We saw a lone howler monkey sleeping in a tree, a group of spider monkeys hanging around and searching for food in the trees high above our heads, and then a big group of white faced monkeys all around us. The white faced ones are my favorites because they'll stay so close to you and just stare at you when you make noises. One was so close it was unbelievable and a guy in front of us pulled the branch that he was sitting on. The monkey really freaked out and started hissing at him. It was so funny! There were also a couple of babies that must have just come off of their mother's backs recently, because you could tell they were hanging and jumping around much more clumsily than the adults.
On the way out of the park, we stopped at a great bar/swimming pool and I had what they called 'Costa Rica's best Pina Colada'. It was quite yummy! Thanks Carolyn and Jaime for telling us about this place owned by the very nice Italian guy. I also found myself a little friend who snuggled up with me the whole time I was there.
Scott then took me to dinner at a great steak place owned by an Argentinian couple. They were definitely the best steaks we've had since we've been in Costa Rica. For an appetizer, we had what's called 'Sweet Bread', but is not bread at all. It's actually the glands in the neck of a cow. Apparently, they are not sold in the US and are even hard to get from the butchers in Costa Rica. We decided we should give them a try and though they were very different, they were good and tender.
Scott had arranged a few days before for our new friend at the ice cream shop to make me the world's best apple pie. We showed up and it was warm with a cute smiley face in the middle and served a la mode with homeade ice cream. It was a wonderful birthday cake (or birthday pie to be more correct)!
We then went out to hear some reggae music at a bar in town that reminded us a little too much of an American bar. We had fun nonetheless. It was a fantastic birthday!

1 comment:

Alex said...

Happy Birthday!