Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Lake Atitlan



We arrived to Lake Atitlan in a very crowded bus and were absolutely amazed at the beauty of the view on the way down. The lake has many volcanos and mountain peaks around it and is the setting for more beauty than pictures can describe. We stayed a night in Panajachel, but found it much too busy and loud for our tastes.


We took a boat the next day over to San Pedro, which is our new home for a week. Though we've learned a bit of Spanish traveling through Costa Rica, we realized that we needed more help for Guatemala and the other countries we plan to visit. For this reason, we decided to take Spanish courses for a week. This, along with staying with a family is really helping us a lot to speak better Spanish. Let me give you an example of a story I wrote in my Spanish class one day. I am translating to English so that you can all understand, but keep in mind that I had to write a story using the 150 verbs that I had learned in one day. Scott and I laughed at it quite a lot later.
When I wake up in the morning, I start to get dressed. Then, I drive to my job. I remain there sometimes for many hours. I sleep later on Saturdays and Sundays. I return to work on Monday. I normally eat lunch at around 12 o'clock. When I sleep, I dream that I am flying. But, only when it is not raining. And also not when there is snow. My friends and I do not bicker at work. We dress very well in order to follow the rules. I smile when I can and I produce many things at work. When the day ends, I say goodbye to my friends and I return home.



Hopefully you get a kick out of that. As you can see, I am learning Spanish like a small child would learn any language. But at least I'm learning! Scott and I are doing much better and can carry on a good conversation in our conversation group during the afternoon. I have so much to say about this place and the family and the people, but it will have to wait for another day. Please stay tuned!

No comments: